Children in Harmony (CiH) supports local organizations around the world to provide opportunities for young people to embrace music-making and social and emotional learning as a way to explore emotional health, connectedness, and community engagement. We believe that empowered individuals can help build a healthier, more just world. Our Amani Project programs use music and emotional learning to unleash the power of young people, no matter what their starting point. When they do, connections are forged between young people and their full potential, their peers, and ultimately their communities.
Music strikes a chord in every young person’s emotional development. It sparks creative expression and improves health. It also builds the kind of confidence to lead in and on all of life’s stages. Young people deserve to be heard, perhaps today more than ever, with so much up in the air about the future they will inherit. Amani works to ensure that every young person is able to express themselves to the best of their ability. The more tools they have, the louder their voices can be heard.
We are seeking a collaborative, ambitious leader to be the new Executive Director of a small but mighty organization poised for exciting growth and impact. This role is a producer and a conductor at the intersection of creative youth development, community engagement, performing arts, and social and emotional learning towards a more just and equitable world.
As Executive Director, you will lead CiH in its work to use music and emotional learning to unleash the power of young people, no matter what their starting point. You will work with our Managing Director to develop cutting-edge programming, but your chief responsibility is to serve as CiH’s ambassador and producer. You are visionary, strategic, and optimistic, with a keen understanding of the current cultural and political landscape of the U.S. You are as bold, experimental, and innovative as these times demand. You are not just comfortable in, but energized by, this largely public role that requires you to inspire others to be part of delivering on CiH’s mission. You are also not shy about the resources needed to make our programs the best they can be.
- Build on existing organizational strengths, relationships, and core know-how to keep CiH on the cutting edge and raise it to the next level of the global Creative Youth Development field.
- Spearhead strategic thinking and key partnerships.
- Promote the vision of the organization in/on new and diverse venues and platforms.
- Mobilize your extensive networks in music, social justice, philanthropy, media and/or entertainment to forge high-impact partnerships.
- Implement successful resource mobilization strategies, securing support from foundations, corporations, and individuals, and developing innovative approaches to earned income.
- Work with the Managing Director to develop a small but bold, strategic, and talented team who cares deeply about mission, connects with CiH’s approach, and takes responsibility for driving progress.
- Nurture a creative, collaborative, inclusive organizational culture.
- Support the development and maintenance of a robust, active, and engaged board of directors, and collaborate with the board on organizational vision, strategy, resources, and impact.
- Support our current partnerships with Community Based Organizations around the world.
Skills And Strengths
- A gifted leader and brand ambassador who will be the face and voice of the ambitious work of CiH, articulating our unique vision, strategy, and impact in the press, to potential supporters, allies, and more.
- A visionary team leader, setting ambitious goals for organizational growth and impact.
- A cultural influencer with a finger on the pulse of pop culture and Creative Youth Development.
- 10+ years experience as a leader in: social justice, media, or pop culture, using conventional or unconventional strategies for reaching new/large audiences.
- 10+ years experience delivering high-performing, influential, and innovative multimedia products and digital outreach strategies; managing effective networks; and achieving impact at scale.
- Fluency in the power of performing arts and its impact on youth development.
- Ambition, confidence, humility, and respect for others.
- Respect and empathy for people across the spectrum of identities and cultural backgrounds.
Los Angeles, New York, or New Orleans Metro (some exceptions possible for the right candidate)
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, in either Word or PDF format, to email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Executive Director.” Questions may be directed there as well. No phone calls, please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to a high volume of responses, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance. Generous paid time off.